The Law Enforcement Victim Advocate is often one of the first to respond to a crime scene to assist victims and survivors. During this critical time victims may experience a wide range of feelings and emotions.
As an advocate, we can assist in many ways:
- Provide emotional and moral support
- Conduct on-scene crisis intervention and grief & bereavement counseling
- Act as a liaison between victim, deputies, detectives, and community-based agencies
- Identify and inform victims of their rights under the law
- Educate law enforcement and victims of new laws pertaining to specific victimization
- Provide information about professional counseling and support groups
- Offer assistance with filing crime victim’s compensation to help with lost wages, medical, counseling, and funeral expenses
- Help prepare victims for court injunction hearings, provide court advocacy and accompaniment
- Provide transport to court, referrals to emergency shelter, and safety planning.
- Assist victims in obtaining cellular phones for 911 emergencies
- Provide information regarding current status of cases
If you need victim assistance, please call 601-425-3147.